glabel clarification

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Oct 20 10:43:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 05:57:53 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Exactly what is happening on my system. That's basically what has been
> troubling me. I cloned ad12 to ad6 and then wanted to boot from ad6...
> well, everytime I boot from ad6 the boot is from ad12 because both have
> identical labels. The only way out is to change the labels on ad6 to
> point to ad6 partitions and not to /dev/label/name.

That is a solution for the case that you want to keep both
disks running in the system. If you just want to make one
disk (b) available in order to swap it when the master disk
fails (w), then labels are fine.

I'm not sure what your main purpose of cloning the disks
was. Two options:
	a) keep two disks in sync, so you can use your
	   backup disk when the working disk fails and
	   needs to be extracted
	b) make a clone of your working disk so it can
	   be placed into another system

> So the only reason to use glabel, in my case, is to boot from the clone
> on another system without worrying about the actual disk label. Once
> it's booted, the label can be changed to conform to the label on the new
> system.

The label doesn't need to be changed when the disk in question
is placed into another system. Labels work independent from
the different settings you might find in different computers,
such as different device names (due to different position on
the controller).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany