need C help, passing char buffer[] by-value....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Oct 20 03:42:49 UTC 2009

Just a little and quite formal side note:

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:09:19 -0700, Patrick Mahan <mahan at mahan.org> wrote:
>                while (*tp != '\0' && *tp++ != '<');

It's often a good choice, especially for increasing readability
of code, to code the "empty statement" on a line on its own (as
you usually put any statements on an own line for clarity), so
the reader doesn't accidentally take it as and "end of command"
notification, e. g.

	while(1)
		;

instead of

	while(1);

which could be confused with the syntactical meaning of

	whatsthis(1);

I'm just mentioning this because I saw this in a programming
project when I was at university. A young programmer who was
given the task to look at code a very skilled programmer gave
him. Somewhere in the code, an endless loop caused the program
not to work properly. The student could not find this endless
loop because it was coded in the manner as given above. It was
not the polite form of for(;;); :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany