Write attempt to file in ZFS snapshot dir causes panic
online at chave.us
Mon Oct 19 03:18:21 UTC 2009
I'm new to FreeBSD. Been experimenting with 8.0-RC1 and zfs in a VM.
Really haven't even installed it yet, just getting familiar with zfs
usage from the fixit environment. I experienced some strange behavior
and was wondering if this would warrant a bug report:
1. load zfs from bootloader prompt and then boot.
2. enter fixit environment.
3. import zpool (in this case a 2 disk vmware mirror named sodpool)
4. cd to previously created snapshot at sodpool/test/myfs/.zfs/snapshot/one
5. attempting to create a new file here results in:
Fixit# echo hello > hello.txt
cannot create hello.txt: Read-only file system
6. That seems like the desired response. Next, attempt to modify a
file that already exists in the snapshot:
Fixit# echo hello >> test.txt
panic: dirtying snapshot!
I know I'm not supposed to be modifying a snapshot file, but a panic
doesn't seem like the best response to this situation.
I'm using DVD iso named 8.0-RC1-amd64-dvd1.iso
This bug report has the same panic but the scenario is different:
Is there someplace else I should check for existing issues?
More information about the freebsd-questions