I hate to bitch but bitch I must

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sun Oct 18 20:46:01 UTC 2009

PJ wrote:

> It's owrthless to read your entire comment here as everyone is
> forgetting two things, here...
> 1. COMMON SENSE
> 2. NOT EVERYONE WHO READS MANUALS OR MAN PAGES IS NECESSARILY LIMITED TO
> THE NARROW MINDBEND OF THE "INITIATED".

There are those who think those who bitch because they've not taken the
time to understand "terms of art" (to borrow language from yet another
of the many, many sub-varieties of English) that have been widely used
in the community for decades, and seem to feel that their resulting
confusion is obviously somebody else's fault and duty to fix, lack
sense, common or otherwise.  On this, I suspect we'll just have to
disagree.  (Though I will point out that in the above passage you've
just told us that you admit to having forgotten common sense.
Ordinarily I wouldn't stoop this low, but you've just spent much time
telling us how much clearer, better, and comprehensible your brand of
English is.))

Personally, I welcomed Ian's comments, as I believe he was the first to
point out explicitly that language such as this is contextual,
long-standing in the community in which it is used, and really not that
confusing once you pay attention.  (My apologies to anyone else who
discussed this earlier; I found it difficult to read every message in
this thread.)

BTW, it's hard for me, personally, to take seriously anyone who quotes
in full, with no trimming, something which he dismisses as "worthless to
read."

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com