I hate to bitch but bitch I must

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 18 16:12:47 UTC 2009

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> PJ wrote:
>
>> Manolis Kiagias wrote:

>>> I am sorry, but there is something here, either some mistake on your
>>> part or some other weird problem on your system I can not think of.
>>>
>>> I don't seem to remember glabel ever failing to store metadata, unless
>>> 1) The device is non-existing 2) The device is mounted.
>>> As a matter of fact, I did the glabel stuff on a machine a few hours
>>> ago. This was already fully installed, I rebooted single user and was
>>> done in less than 2 minutes.
>>> And yes, if you get a metadata error, it means nothing was done so you
>>> are *not* to go and change fstab!
>>>
>>> Could you  please send us /etc/fstab and the results of ls /dev/ad*
>>>

>> Here are the outputs:
>>
>> fstab:
>> # Device        Mountpoint    FStype    Options        Dump    Pass#
>> /dev/ad12s1b        none        swap    sw        0    0
>> /dev/ad12s1a        /        ufs    rw        1    1
>> /dev/ad12s1h        /backups    ufs    rw        2    2
>> /dev/ad12s1g        /home        ufs    rw        2    2
>> /dev/ad12s1d        /tmp        ufs    rw        2    2
>> /dev/ad12s1f        /usr        ufs    rw        2    2
>> /dev/ad12s1e        /var        ufs    rw        2    2
>> /dev/acd0        /cdrom        cd9660    ro,noauto    0    0
>> linproc  /usr/compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0
>>
>> df:
>> Filesystem   1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>> /dev/ad12s1a   2026030  319112  1544836    17%    /
>> devfs                1       1        0   100%    /dev
>> /dev/ad12s1h  50777034       4 46714868     0%    /backups
>> /dev/ad12s1g  50777034 6276538 40438334    13%    /home
>> /dev/ad12s1d   4058062      36  3733382     0%    /tmp
>> /dev/ad12s1f  50777034 5729324 40985548    12%    /usr
>> /dev/ad12s1e   2026030  176070  1687878     9%    /var
>> linprocfs            4       4        0   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
>>
>> # ls /dev/ad*
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  97 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad0
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 103 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad0s1
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 101 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 106 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 121 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1a
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 122 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1b
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 123 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1c
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 124 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1d
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 125 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1e
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 126 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1f
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 127 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1g
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 102 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 107 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 128 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1a
>> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 129 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1b
> [...]
Is entirely possible that I mucked up somewhere and did not do the
shutdown -r quite right... anyway, it is working fine now.
I still have some minor questions, though...
Can glabel be done on a dormant file system and then boot that file
system to change the fstab? I would think that that would be about the
same things ad doing it from a mounted system in SUM.
Then, the last question... where does tunefs really come in? .. I ask
this since it was not necessary to relable the disk. And that is where
all the confusion came in :-(