upgrading remote server

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Sun Oct 18 15:08:33 UTC 2009

I just reinstalled a server that was out for repair. It's on the network
  in the data center, but no applications are running on it, yet.

I thought this would be a perfect time to upgrade the OS. It's currently
running 6.2 Release, I want to bring it up to 7.2 Release.

I'd like to do this remotely, if possible, since going to the data
center is a pain.

I've been reading the upgrade chapter in "Absolute FreeBSD", and it
seems like the best option is to download the source files for 7.2 and
upgrade from sources.

 >>> Sanity check: Am I on the right track?

I've never done a major upgrade remotely, but I guess the worst that can
happen is I have to burn a CD and drive into the data center.

Any thoughts, much appreciated.

-- John