I hate to bitch but bitch I must

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Oct 17 22:31:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:17:29 +0100, Vincent Hoffman <vince at unsane.co.uk> wrote:
> yes. this makes a ufs label which you can access via /dev/ufs
> for example (my home system)
> jhary at ostracod
> (23:08:34 <~>) 0 $ ls /dev/ufs
> SCRATCH         SSDROOT         SSDUSR          SSDVAR
> [...]
> /dev/ufs/SCRATCH on /scratch (ufs, local, noatime, gjournal)
           ^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^

Wow! Last time I saw this was on EAW's WEGA (a UNIX System III
compatible UNIX developed in the GDR for the P8000 workstation).
There even was /etc/mount and /etc/fsck. :-)

> /dev/ufs/SSDVAR /var    ufs     rw,noatime      2       2
> /dev/label/SWAP none    swap    sw      0       0

These two lines illustrate the different use of the results
of "glabel label" for generic labels and "tunefs -L" for UFS
labels very well.

> note there I have also used glabel on the swap (command used was glabel
> label /dev/ad10p1)

A really honest question: What does the "p" in "ad10p1"
indicate? I always thought swap partitions are something
like "ad10b" (an own partition right after the root
partition a).

> One thing to note with label, if you mount/use the device by is raw
> node, the label disapears.
> [...]
> This used to confuse me greatly :)

Why make a label available for something to mount that is
already mounted and cannot be accessed through this label
while being mounted? :-)

The kernel messages show such messages about removing labels
as soon as devices are mounted in the "traditional" way.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany