I hate to bitch but bitch I must

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Oct 17 03:18:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:59:18 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> I understand it, but see ambiguity in the word "should".  Easy enough to
> rewrite:
>
> BUGS
> This utility does not work on active file systems.
>
> Now here's my challenge to PJ: use send-pr(1) or the web PR interface at
> http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html to submit this as a doc bug report.
>
> That's how FreeBSD gets better, and how you help the next person in the
> same situation.

That's a good advice, because in this particular situation,
the utility in question does NOT work on active file systems,
it refuses to do so and throws the proper error message.

There are cases where a program should work (under certain
circumstances), but if a specified setting is not met, it
works incorrectly (but still works), like using dump on a
filesystem that's changing - usually producing a defective
dump file that cannot be properly restored.

For completeness: If a program does not work, the manual
should not say "it should work", but "it does not work"
regarding a given situation.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany