sysinstall colours

Michiel Overtoom motoom at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 17 01:00:06 UTC 2009

On Friday 16 October 2009, Randi Harper wrote:

> Personally if I spent a lot of time on such a project, I'd be sure to have
> the "is this going to make it into freebsd base?" conversation first.

I think there's no doubt about it that 'sysinstall' will feature in the next
FreeBSD too.  It will!  Keep up the good work!  It's worth it.

The sysinstall manual page makes two apocalyptical remarks about itself:

1. "This product is currently at the end of its life cycle and will eventually
be replaced."

2. "This utility is a prototype which lasted several years past its expiration
date and is greatly in need of death."

These doomsayings are wrong. To date no serious contenders have surfaced and
up until that time sysinstall does its job, underappreciated perhaps, but it
does it reasonably well, and adequately.  Now that it is back in the focus,
we can look to a bright, evolutionary future for sysinstall.

alexbestms at math.uni-muenster.de wrote:

> personally if i spent a lot of time on such a project i'd be expecting it
> to get integrated into the base system. if not i'd get rather upset and
> would probably switch to linux or opensolaris.

I wouldn't switch operating systems just because something in the installer
bugged me.  Some enhancements I made to OSS and were rejected by the
maintainers also didn't make me abandon that software.

Greetings,

Michiel Overtoom,
Software developer.

--
"The ability of the OSS process to collect and harness
the collective IQ of thousands of individuals across