I hate to bitch but bitch I must

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Oct 16 23:16:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 19:10:58 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Ok, but that is exactly what I did.  Exactly that and that is what is in
> the manual. And I can read and I did check and recheck my input for
> typos. But, I did get error messages!
> # glabel label rootfs/dev/ad12s1a

Exactly? I think a whitespace (after rootfs) is missing.

> glabel: Can't store metadata on /dev/ad12s1a: Operation not permitted
> and the message was the same for all partitions!

And you ran this command in single user mode with no partitions
mounted, except / in ro mode? (You can use "mount -v" to check.)

> Since the web gurus were saying that the error messages were not
> important and to ignore them, [...]

I cannot imagine this. It looks like an error message. Such as
if "Cannto save file" wouldn't suggest you that the file has
been successfully save, woult it?

> [...] I tried that and continued through with
> the boot and changed the fstab entries and rebooted and the boot failed.

Of course. Obviously, the label has NOT being written, so the
reference in /etc/fstab leads to failure.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany