CMS

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri Oct 16 19:15:06 UTC 2009

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Friday, October 16, 2009 11:27:12 -0500 Modulok <modulok at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 10/15/09, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com> wrote:
>>> I manage a couple of FreeBSD servers for a friend.  He's gotten all
>>> excited about content management and thinks that's the way to go.  The
>>> system he's familiar with is Windows only.  I've done a little research,
>>> but I'm wondering if anyone reading the list has experience with a
>>> CMS on
>>> FreeBSD - one that's in ports preferably.
>>>
>>> Pros?  Cons?  Any known security issues?
>>
>> If it's your server and you're the guy, (or your friends) needing
>> "content management" abilities... a simple SSH connection cannot be
>> beat. But maybe that's not what you had in mind :p
>
> Yeah....I'm not the content guy.  I'm the server admin.  I'm also not
> the ower. The owner likes CMS products since he's now using one, and
> wants to install the one he uses on his server.  But the one he uses is
> only for Windows.  Thus the question.

It is my opinion that they (CMSs) are nearly to the point it will take a
quadcore CPU and 4GB or memory to serve a single html page containing
the words "Hello World". Code light, they are not.

My experience with CMS such as Joomla, SurgarCRM, etc is that they are
to crackers as a lone lightbulb in the forest is to bugs.

- Keep them up to date.

- Subscribe to, and be attentive to, their security mailings.

- If you do not use a feature/module, remove it.

- Do not under any circumstances install PhpMyAdmin. My logs show if a
IP gets a hit on a CMS page, they immediately search for PhpMyAdmin
next. If you must install it, install it on another machine or under a
different domain. Then turn access on and off at the SQL server when needed.

We have a few CMSs that I could not talk Sales out of, two have had
problems. One was moved to it's on VPS because of issues.

Best of luck.

DAve

--
"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you

http://appleseedinfo.org