phpMyAdmin install stopped in dependency 'libXau-1.0.4'

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Oct 16 08:05:37 UTC 2009

Kikachi Kozumi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried installing phpMyAdmin in an ezjail created jail already
> installed with apache22, mysql and php5 running FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE
> i386 with no X11 (headless).
> The port install failed when dependency 'libXau-1.0.4' configure
> couldn't find gnome-config:

> checking for XAU... gnome-config: not found
> configure: error: Package requirements (xproto) were not met.
>
> I'm not sure if this issue is specific to my system or is it a ports
> issue but I found that libXau-1.0.4 was in the ports tree since
> January 2009 so it's less likely to be an issue with the port itself.
>
> Right now I'm not sure if the required gnome-config is lost from my
> system or was never there in the 1st place. What can I do to continue
> with phpMyAdmin installation?
>
> I'm also curious why the phpMyAdmin port requires libX11 libraries to
> build while the phpMyAdmin website states that php, mysql and apache
> are the requirements for running phpMyAdmin?

phpMyAdmin only depends on X through one of the optional extensions:
php5-gd.  If you disable the GD and PDF options in the configuration
dialogue you'll not need to install any X related dependencies.  Or
you can rebuild graphics/gd using 'WITHOUT_X11=yes' if you want to be
able to generate PDF of database schemas etc through phpMyAdmin.

Hmmm... as far as I can tell, gnome-config is not a run-time dependency
of phpMyAdmin even when compiled with all options enabled and with X11
support in the gd libraries.  Either gnome-config is a build dependency
from somewhere way down the dependency tree (ie. only needed to build
something, not needed to run it) or you've got a misplaced 'USE_GNOME'
somewhere.  In general, USE_FOO is for port maintainers only and shouldn't
appear in /etc/make.conf or any other Makefile that gets generally included
everywhere.  Use WITH/WITHOUT_FOO in /etc/make.conf to indicate global
preferences.  (Gentoo we ain't)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3