usb key problem

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 16 00:08:14 UTC 2009

Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:19:16 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> I am running 7.2 but cannot properly attach/detach cruze 8gb and 4gb USB
>> keys.
>> When inserted, generate errors:
>> da0 seems to be read correctly
>> but then comes arow of
>> (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:1): snip CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
>> snip NOT READY asc:3a,0
>> Medium not present
>> Unretryable error
>> then
>> cd0 at umass-sim0 dada,dada,dada
>> attempt to query device size failed; UNIT ATTENTION, Not ready to ready
>> change, medium may have changed
>>
>> # camcontrol devlist
>> <SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro 4.04> at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass0)
>> same as above ----- ---------------------------   lun 1 (pass1,cd0)
>>

> It would be good if you provide the full dmesg lines that
> are corresponding with this problem.
>
> By the way, I had problems with "defective by design" SanDisk
> USB sticks, too. This is how it looked:
>
> % dmesg | tail
> umass0: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2> on uhub2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da0: Attempt to query device size failed: UNIT ATTENTION, Medium not present
> umass0: at uhub2 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
> umass0: detached
>
> I could not access the stick, /dev/da0 was the only device
> that appeared, and I could only dump the partition table
> (in terms of "DOS primary partitions", i. e. slices) with
> the "fdisk da0" command. But I could not access it.
>
> Finally, I printed out dmesg on a line printer (looks very
> impressing), marked the lines shown above and returned it to
> the shop. I'm now happy with a Sony USB stick which works
> excellently.
>

>> Something is not functioning & I don't understand. It did function a
>> while (some weeks) ago but now, no go...
>>

> It did function, and now no more? I would say that if you didn't
> change anything on your system, the SanDisk stick is broken.
>
> Could you try the stick in another system for reference?
>

>> I did look on the web, but...
>> ????
>>

> Did you see a spider that made the web? :-)

Yeah, and it scared the shit out of me... ;-)

Anyway, I found the solution on the web... couldn't belive it was that
simple: just ignore the crap spewed out on the screen and just mount iit
as you would any other disk.
# mount  -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
and that's it
I don't know if it makes any difference, but I did delete everything on
the key and formatted with Fat32. That got rid of everything and only
took up 4k instead of 32 when not formatted and I could put my own label
on the disk.
Yea!
Now to see how I can use it to restore stuff. :-D