for perl wizards.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Oct 11 08:11:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 12:26:25PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>  >
>  >         Whenever I save a wordpeocessoe file [OOo, say] into a
>  >         text file, I get a slew of hex codes to indicate the char to be
>  >         used.  I'm looking for a perl one-liner or script to translate
>  >         hex back into ', ", -- [that's a dash), and so forth.  Why does
>  >         this fail to trans the hex code to an apostrophe?
>  >
>  >         perl -pi.bak -e 's/\xe2\x80\x99/'/g'
>
> You need to escape the inner quote character, of course.
> I think sed is better suited for this task than perl.
>
>  >         If there any another other tools, I'm interested!
>
> That "hex code" rather looks like UTF-8.
>
> For conversion between character encodings I recommend recode
> from the ports collection (ports/converters/recode).
> For example, to convert file.txt from UTF-8 to ISO8859-15:
>
> $ recode utf8..iso8859-15 file.txt
>
> To preserve the previous file contents, do this:
>
> $ recode utf8..iso8859-15 <old.txt >new.txt

	recode works just fine, thanks.  i'm not sure if openoffice asks
	to use 8859-1 or utf8, but yes, the text is interspersperced with
	bits of utf8.

	FWIW, I  did check this on google before my post; still couldn't
	find anything that worked.  and of course, above, with the " ' "
	i did try escaping the punctuation.  my shell gave me problems
	regardless.  dunno ... so i asked here:-)

	thanks to everyone,

	gary

    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php