binutils

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Oct 10 20:45:22 UTC 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Jerry wrote:
>> That's not a bad idea, although you can likely export PREFIX=/usr and
>> install the binutils port, and get the desired result.
>
> The only problem with that is that it would get over written when
> updating 'world'. I am not sure if a user could exclude binutils from
> being installed when building world. Nor, am I certain that it would
> not cause a problem somewhere down the line. I don't like messing with
> system files.

While you bring up a perfectly valid concern, if you want to avoid
interfering with the base system version, the default behavior of
ports ought to be to install both binutils and a gcc which uses that
under /usr/local.  You might also look into the -B flag to gcc.

> In any case, the FreeBSD developers are going to eventually develop a
> working relationship with software written using the GPLv3 license.

Faced with the decision between adopting GPLv3 code or writing a BSD-
licensed replacement such as Tim Kientzle did with bsdtar, well, the
project is actively pursuing the latter option.  GPLv2 and CDDL code
can and has been included with the baseline system for a few cases
where the exceptional utility of that software (such as ZFS, DTrace,
and the GNU compiler toolchain) justifies doing so, but if you check
the list archives, producing a BSD-licensed operating system is
described as an important goal of the project.

It sounds like you are currently free to run and use GPLv3 code for
what you are doing, and you are welcome to do so-- either by rolling
your own or by taking advantage of ports to set things up the way you
want.  Keeping GPLv3 code in ports allows you to make that decision
without affecting other users of FreeBSD which cannot use GPLv3 code
in their situation.

I hope that this addresses your concerns, and that you do obtain the
SSE3-aware compiler toolchain you are (or whoever the OP was :-)
looking for....

Regards,
--
-Chuck