best FBSD version for commercial use.

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:25:06 UTC 2009

2009/10/9 Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:04:42 -0400, Mikel King <mikel.king at olivent.com> wrote:
>> Recommend sticking with 7.x branch until 8.0 has been through one or
>> two solid releases. Then  you should be able to perform a csup and
>> rebuild the world to the current version of 8.x at the time.
>
> So you would not recommend 8 (as RC1 at the state of the moment)
> for commercial use. Regarding your explaination, I do understand
> this. It's often mentioned that x.0 releases aren't "that good".

8.0 seems to be "that good", but businesses who make their
money from their computers should probably be conservative.

Also, the upgrade path for 7.x to 8.x is amusingly painless,
so being safe has a very low cost here.

> But allow me a follow-up question: Is 8.0-RC1 already recommendable
> for a home desktop, or would 7.2 be the version of choice? I'm
> asking this because of the many improvements especially the USB
> subsystem has gotten in 8 which would be important for the "plug
> and play experience" for USB devices...

I have been using 8-CURRENT since February & updating
from source once or twice a week.  I am without trepidation
in asserting that it is frankly the best release of FreeBSD I
have used.  Assuming that something horrible doesn't happen
between RC1 & RELEASE (asteroid strike, second coming of
John Holmes, land war in Asia) I wouldn't fear the *.0 syndrome.