How to set device permissions at startup

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Oct 9 19:10:11 UTC 2009

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Roland Smith wrote:
 > > > But one has to run '/etc/rc.d/devfs restart' for newly added rules to take
 > > > effect! (or reboot the system, which is overkill).
 > >
 > > Yes, of course.  I thought that was obvious.
 > >
 > > > Maybe I whould add that to the manual page for devfs.rules?
 > >
 > > Agreed, that might be an appropriate clarification.
 >
 > It should be included because not everyone uses the standard /etc/rc.*
 > hierachy.   For example I have a completely custom rc which before I did
 > an other hack to make this issue not an issue read:

Well, if you completely rewrite /etc/rc, then you're on
your own anyway, and you're supposed to know what you're
doing.  In general it is not a good idea and will lead
to serious foot-shooting.

By the way, what is the reason that you don't use the
standard rc(8) facilities?  I don't see anything in you
custom script that wouldn't be covered by them.

Best regards
   Oliver

"A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier
to program in than some that do."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie