/ almost out of space just after installation

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Wed Oct 7 08:06:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Chris Stankevitz wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I just installed FreeBSD. After I installed it, I was surprised to find
> only 26M of space on /.  I used the auto-defaults during the Disklabel
> portion of the install.
>
> [cstankevitz at crs-m6300 ~]$ df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad4s1a    496M    430M     26M    94%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad4s1e    496M     14K    456M     0%    /tmp
> /dev/ad4s1f    113G    1.9G    102G     2%    /usr
> /dev/ad4s1d    2.9G    7.9M    2.6G     0%    /var
>
> Q1: Is 26M free space on / after installing FreeBSD normal?

Goodness! What version did you install?

> Q2: Will I be able to install GNOME, Firefox, download 30 MB of files, and
> place them on my GNOME dekstop?  (I believe the desktop is located at
> /home/cstankevitz/.desktop aka on the root partition where there is only
> 26M of free space)

The default installation used to make /home a symbolic link to
/usr/home.

> Q3: Which changes, if any, should I make to my system?

Move /home to /usr/home and create a symbolic link /home -> /usr/home

That should give you some breathing room in / unless you have the bad habit
of running as root and crud accumulates in /root or you keep several
old kernels.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html