Jails: /bin/tcsh: Permission Denied

APseudoUtopia apseudoutopia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 08:08:47 UTC 2009

Hey list,

I'm setting up jails on my system. I started with a httpd jail for
nginx and php to run in. I used ezjail to create it. I went through
all the steps, and got a jail setup and working. I've logged in and
out several times and installed a couple ports within the jail. I then
added a non-privileged user by running "adduser" as root. However,
that is when the problem came up. For some reason, I cannot switch to
the unprivileged user. The shell is giving me a "Permission Denied"
error.

# su - jailuser
su: no directory
# su jailuser
su: /bin/tcsh: Permission denied

The line in /etc/passwd of the jail:
jailuser:*:1001:1001:User &:/home/jailuser:/bin/tcsh

The host and jail are running 7.2-RELEASE-p4. /bin/tcsh is listed in
/etc/shells. I tried running "pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd" to no
avail.

Any ideas on why I am getting a permission denied error?

More info, if needed:

Mount on the host system:
/dev/ad2s1a on / (ufs, local, noatime)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ufs/tmp on /tmp (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/ad2s1f on /usr (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/ad2s1e on /var (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/usr/jails/basejail on /usr/jails/httpd/basejail (nullfs, local, read-only)
devfs on /usr/jails/httpd/dev (devfs, local)

Mount on the jail:
/dev/ad2s1f on / (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)

/etc/fstab.httpd on host:
/usr/jails/basejail /usr/jails/httpd/basejail nullfs ro 0 0

# ls -al /usr/jails/
drwx------   9 root  wheel  512 Oct  5 05:34 basejail
drwx------   3 root  wheel  512 Oct  5 05:34 flavours
drwx------  12 root  wheel  512 Oct  5 07:49 httpd
drwxr-xr-x  12 root  wheel  512 Oct  5 05:34 newjail

Thanks.