Xorg mouse not working after upgrade (console mouse works)

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Oct 4 22:45:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Nerius Landys wrote:

> I had everything (Xorg + console mouse) working perfectly on my 6.3
> system with slightly outdated ports.  Now I upgraded to 6.4 and the
> latest ports.  I am getting some strange behavior with respect to the
> mouse.  I did adjust some lines of rc.conf in the process of trying to
> debug the problem (moused used to be enabled and now it's not).
>
> I have a run-of-the-mill USB mouse hooked up.
>
> In the console (before I type "startx"), I am able to move the mouse
> cursor and copy+paste just fine in the console.  My rc.conf looks like
> this (surprisingly, moused is NOT enalbed, and the console mouse DOES
> WORK FINE):

But if you check with ps, you'll find moused is running anyway.  It gets
started so that hotplugging USB mice works.  See
moused_nondefault_enable in rc.conf(5).  Since you have a USB mouse, you
might as well add moused_enable="YES" to rc.conf.

>  defaultrouter="192.168.0.254"
>  hostname="tweety.i"
>  ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.5  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>  sshd_enable="YES"
>  usbd_enable="YES"
>  # added by xorg-libraries port
>  local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"
>  hald_enable="YES"
>  dbus_enable="YES"
>
> When I "startx", the mouse cursor won't move.  I have nothing
> currently in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (it's missing).

Make sure that there isn't an xorg.conf somewhere else that's being
used.  /var/log/Xorg.0.log will show for sure:

(==) Using config file: "/usr/local/lib/X11/xorg.conf"

> I tried "Xorg -configure" and copying the output of that to
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but no change in behavior.

That produces an increasingly outdated config file.

> I am also trying to add
>
>  moused_enable="YES"
>
> to my rc.conf.  Then when I try to start moused, I get the following error:
>
>  Starting default moused:moused: unable to open /dev/psm0: No such
> file or directory

Remember that moused is already running, and you may have to kill it
before trying to re-run it with /etc/rc.d/moused.  Running 6.4 might
make a difference, too; I don't know.

> Had a look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, but cannot decide on what to
> change in /etc/rc.conf to make X work.
>
> I really see no point in starting moused if the console mouse is
> already working, however.   Is that correct?
>
> When I generated the xorg.conf with "Xorg -configure", I did see this
> section in the xorg.conf:
>
>  Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Mouse0"
>          Driver      "mouse"
>          Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
>  EndSection
>
> Any ideas on how to get mouse to work in X?  I had a good look at the
> Handbook but everything I tried there did not fix the problem.

Enable hal and dbus (and moused) in rc.conf.  Make sure all are started
and continue running; hal erroring out can be annoying.

If you were running without an xorg.conf before, that should be enough.