usenet configuration

CmdLnKid cmdlnkid at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 19:04:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:10 -0000, odhiambo wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Aflatoon Aflatooni <aaflatooni at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> What is needed in order to run nntp? How does nntp connect to other news
>> servers? Where do you define the news groups that the server would subscribe
>> to?
>> Any pointers or suggested configuration?
>> Thanks
>

> You want pple to chew for you then you swallow?:-)

Really that was so insightful it inspired me to respond.

I use news/inn for a local WiFi news server for the community around me to
connect to that pulls threads from the net and post on local spots for for
replies by the community.

I can not recommend cnews as for I have no experience with it. INN on the other
hand is a pretty big configuration and has a lot of options and knobs to tune so
I really would not recommend that if your not up for reading thoroughly through
the docs to achieve the proper layout of your news server. When you do
understand INN if you decide to use it give me a holler I would be interested to
know what your final outcome is.

Best regards and good luck.

PS: I spent around 2 months on a offline INN server just to understand some of
the inn's and outs along with post signing etc. It took about that long before I
finally became comfortable with putting it up for public use.

--