How to restore Base_Bind on amd64 7.2 p3

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 06:03:29 UTC 2009

David Southwell wrote:

>>> [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Frank
>>> Steinborn

>>> You should be able to restore the bind from base by using the
>>> install.sh script in /usr/src/contrib/bind9. Deinstall the
>> port first,
>>> though.
>>>
>> ThanksI deinstalled the port and tried to run install-sh
>>
>> # sh install-sh
>> and got the response:
>>> install: no input file specified
>> Any chance you might make me a little wiser on how to use install-sh?\

This advice -- to run install-sh -- is incorrect.  install-sh there
is straight from the bind distribution and assumes you're building it
as a separate piece of software, rather than integrated with the rest
of the system sources.

To reinstall bind from the FreeBSD source tree:

    * Check /etc/src.conf, /etc/make.conf and ensure that there are no
      WITHOUT_BIND or WITHOUT_BIND_NAMED or other relevant flags set

    * Simplest thing to do is then run through a buildworld cycle.  This
      takes a while and uses some CPU power but it's largely fire-ans-forget.
      Instructions are here:

          http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

    * If you're really in a hurry, then you can rebuild just bind etc.
      but this is less certain than the above.  The following is extracted
      from http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-09:12.bind.asc

           # cd /usr/src/lib/bind
           # make obj && make depend && make && make install
           # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/named
           # make obj && make depend && make && make install
           # /etc/rc.d/named restart

As the previous correspondent said, deinstall the port before doing this.
You should not need to recompile any other software because of this change
-- the shlibs generated should be interchangeable -- but you will need to
reboot to make sure that all the running processes are using the correct
version of the resolver functions rather than a memory mapped copy of the
old shlibs even after the actual file was deleted and overwritten.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW