ZFSROOT / Custom Kernels [or upgrades]

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 30 16:36:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 02:17 -0500, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 1)
> I followed this wiki link to setup our server [sigyn.apache.org]
> (Dell r710 with 4 disks mfid[0123] as raidz2)
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ2
>
> Rebooted all was well.
>
> 2) off on another 'build' box [loki.apache.org], I had compiled
> release/8.0.0 userland+kernel [with LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=yes].
> Whats the ETA for MFC from trunk->stable/8 for
> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=199714

I set the MFC timer for 2 weeks from the initial commit.

You don't say what error that you are getting, but the loader is updated
during installworld or via direct make install
from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader.  The 8.0-RELEASE code has the fix
for raidz boot, but may still have issues with disks larger than 2TB.
You need to make sure that you have installed the fixed gptzfsboot code
to the drives.  If you have not yet done an installworld, then it will
be /usr/obj/sys/boot/i386/gptzfsboot/gptzfsboot

It sounds like when you install the new kernel, the block numbers are
overflowing. (which should be addressed by the fix in 8.0)

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD