ntpdate on FreeBSD 8.0

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Nov 30 15:35:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, ajtiM wrote:

> On Sunday 29 November 2009 21:38:04 Warren Block wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, ajtiM wrote:
>>> I have new installed FreeBSD 8.0 and in rc.conf I have:
>>>
>>> ntpdate_enable="YES"
>>> ntpdate_hosts="ntp1.cs.wisc.edu"
>>>
>>> When I boot computer I get a message there are no this host but when I
>>> run /usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp1.cs.wisc.edu it works.
>>>
>>> I had the same in rc.conf on FreeBSD 7.2 and it works all the time. All
>>> settings on FreeBSD8.0 are the same as I had on 7.2.
>>
>> Might you have a Realtek network card?
>
> Yes, I have realtek card too but it is not active. DHCP is on sk0 and as I
> wrote I never had problems with that. Maybe is different now?

The 8.0 if_re code had the card go through a link up/down pair three
times on startup.  By the time DHCP had gotten to it, other stuff had
already errored out (sendmail in my case).  yongari fixed it with a
patch:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/re/if_re.c.diff?r1=1.162;r2=1.163

Your problem sounds like it might be similar.