portupgrade for binaries fails miserably, but not completely

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sun Nov 29 22:03:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:16:15PM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> At 12:50 AM +0000 11/29/09, Frank Shute wrote:
>
> >You don't mention what command you are using to upgrade your
> >ports/packages.
>
> Sorry: portupgrade -aPPR

My opinion is that you shouldn't use packages and compile from source
instead. In my experience it's less troublesome and because FreeBSD is
so good at multi-tasking it's possible to get on with your work whilst
it's doing the building.

Packages only if you've got weak hardware and/or limited bandwidth.

> >You do realise that you don't have to upgrade your ports if you go
> >from 7.1 to 7.2. You can do but don't have to.
>
> No, I didn't realize that. The FreeBSD Handbook indicates differently.

It shouldn't do. You only have to rebuild all your ports if you're
going from a major version to another major version e.g 7.* to 8.0

Between minor versions FreeBSD maintains things so it shouldn't be
necessary.

> >You should upgrade python25 to python26. See /usr/ports/UPDATING dated
> >20090608 for instructions on how to do so.
>

> Thanks, but that didn't help. So, I have now done a long, painful
> 'portrupgrade -a', having it stop regularly to prompt me for
> configuration settings. We'll see what happens when I go to 8.

The other guys have pointed out the neato switch to portupgrade so
that you do the config beforehand.

It's also possible to accept the default configs by putting:

BATCH="yes"

in /etc/make.conf ....IIRC.

As to your problems, it could be that your ports tree is out of date.
Have you c[v]sup'd or portsnapped it recently?

> --Paul Hoffman

Regards,

--

 Frank