portupgrade for binaries fails miserably, but not completely

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Sun Nov 29 20:16:20 UTC 2009

At 12:50 AM +0000 11/29/09, Frank Shute wrote:
>You don't mention what command you are using to upgrade your
>ports/packages.

Sorry: portupgrade -aPPR

>You do realise that you don't have to upgrade your ports if you go
>from 7.1 to 7.2. You can do but don't have to.

No, I didn't realize that. The FreeBSD Handbook indicates differently.

>You should upgrade python25 to python26. See /usr/ports/UPDATING dated
>20090608 for instructions on how to do so.

Thanks, but that didn't help. So, I have now done a long, painful 'portrupgrade -a', having it stop regularly to prompt me for configuration settings. We'll see what happens when I go to 8.

--Paul Hoffman