8.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick fixit - No USB devices found!

Randi Harper randi at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 27 14:51:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Derek (freebsd lists)
<482254ac at razorfever.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone else out there has successfully gotten the
> 8.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick fixit prompt up.
>
> It boots fine, and sysinstall comes up, but I continually get "No USB
> devices found!" when I go to the fixit/USB option.
>
> When I switch to the debug tty, I see da0, and all my device parameters.
>
> I've even created a second USB stick, and stuck it in and tried.
>
> No joy.
>
> Anyways, has anyone successfully gotten the 8.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick fixit
> prompt up?
>
> Thanks!
> - Derek

That's really weird. I can't say that I've seen this problem. It
sounds like you're trying to load the livefs - can you bring up a
normal fixit shell prompt and see what entries you have in /dev for
da0*? There should be a da0a. Due to sysinstall weirdness, adding this
USB support was somewhat of a hack, as it doesn't look for da0 - it
looks for da0a. :P

-- randi