MUA questions

Rem P Roberti remegius at comcast.net
Thu Nov 26 07:49:24 UTC 2009

On 2009.11.26 00:27:15 +0000, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:28:05PM -0800, Rem Roberti wrote:
> >
> > Basically, I am using Mutt as my MUA, and I have either getmail or
> > fetchmail configured to receive my POP3 mail from Comcast, which is via
> > mail.comcast.net.  I am using msmtp as my smtp client, and have no
> > trouble sending mail from Mutt...just can't receive.  Both the
> > .fetchmailrc and getmailrc configurations have worked in the past.  Is
> > this possibly a sendmail issue?  The fetchmail.log repeatedly indicates
> > "Trying to connect to 76.96.54.12/110...connection failed: Operation
> > temed out."
>
> Are you sure Mutt is trying to use fetchmail or getmail, and not still
> trying to use Sendmail instead?

Well...I'm embarrassed to admit this, but the problem was with the
operator...that would be me. Everything was doing its job correctly,
including procmail.  I'd forgotten how to call up the list of mailboxes
where procmail puts everything, and when I hit the return key I kept
getting the "no mail" message, so I just assumed that the mail was not
being received. But no, everything was being put exactly where it was
supposed to be, and once I remembered how to access the individual
mailboxes guess what I found.  This is what happens when you spend a
year operating a windoze box. I'm sure glad to be back with FreeBSD.
Thanks to all who responded.

Cheers...

Rem