7.2-STABLE to 8-R

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 24 21:09:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:40:25PM +0000, John wrote:

> Regarding ports, I think I'll take the long route. This box is my main
> machine, my desktop - and so there are a LOT of ports installed. It will
> be easier to make portmanager rebuild everything in pristine mode. It
> will take a long time, but I accept this. Before this is done, I run the
> built-in routines in /usr/ports - clean out */work/* and distfiles.

I would _strongly_ advise you to make a list of all your current ports, e.g. with
'portmaster -L >ports.list', deleting all ports and re-installing the ports
labeled as 'leaf ports' and 'root ports' in ports.list.

While portmaster/-manager do their best, they just cannot cover all the corner
cases, especially since some ports require extra action (e.g. perl!) There is
a good chance you'll end up with a big mess like binaries linked to both 7.x
and 8.x libraries or ports failing to build for mysterious reasons. Both have
happened to me in the past and are a major PITA to fix.

I've done the complete delete/reinstall run a couple of times now on my
desktop with ≈490 ports installed.

Roland