GPUs on FBSD?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Nov 20 20:35:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 02:56:03PM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
> 2009/11/20 Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk>:
> > Anybody knows of working GPUs under FBSD on any arch?
> > Any advice?
> >

> Your question could have been phrased better.... but that's the teacher in me!
>
> Nvidia GPUs work on IA-32 machines, but AFAIK there's still no amd64 driver.
>
> Food for thought: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=398
>
> My advice: Get an Nvidia card, and install FreeBSD/i386.
>
> Chris

	hi chris,

	i'm taking this offlist so i don't show my totsl ignorance about
	running X11 and my new intel duo with i386 and 7.2.

	do i need a nvidia card to run X?  the graphics show the dell
	circle just before the boot sequence but that may be built into the
	bios.

	(another reason for keeping this offlist is that my network pal says
	to NOT run X on my server ... simply for the sake of simplicity.  i
	will not use the computer for anything except CTWM  for root, which
	will make doing sysadmin tasks vastly easier.  nutshell: if i do need
	a video card for my dell inspiron 530, what kind?

	tia,

	gary

    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php