no sshd on new server...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Nov 20 09:09:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:26:15PM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Randi Harper <randi at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

	[save the whales]

	    {slam}

> Is this really necessary?
>
> --
> Glen Barber

	long-story short, a friend who is a serious network guru kept
	insisting that my new server have a STATIC ip, not one supplied by
	DHCP.  ...So i forced my pfsense firewall to lock down the IP of the
	server-to-be [in services_dhcp.php (if memory serves)].  i mostly
	forgot about that static config, so the new computer failed to work
	correctly with what IP i was told to type in.

	aeound 03:43 it slammed into my mind that if i 'x' out the config
	on my pfsense box that i might be able to comply with my pal's
	instructions.  [[yeah, you can call him any number of names from X
	to Z, but the facts are they this guy has been right--consistantly--
	for the two years i've known him.]]

	since noon here, i have my new computer running the latest 7.2, it
	has a fixed IP, and i expect to have my services switched over by
	monday.   ---hope the power holds; autumn && seattle mean wind storms
	and power-outs, ... and my 1998 kayak (ns1.thought.org) has about three
	power-cycles left.

    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php