How painful is the nv driver supposed to be?

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Fri Nov 20 07:43:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:28:19AM -0500, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using the nv xorg driver on 8.0 amd64 with a GeForce 6600 (CPU is
> an i7 overclocked at 4GHz) configured in 1920x1080. With that setup it
> takes about 2 seconds to maximize a window or to switch workspace in
> fluxbox. Is there a way to improve speed or this is all I can hope to get?
>
> Thanks!

I think I used to have a 6600 which I used the nv driver with and
maximising windows and changing workspaces was almost instantaneous.
To be fair, I only have a 1280x1024 display.

So the driver works fine for me.

Having a look at the specs for your card seems to suggest that it
should drive your display with some ease:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce6_techspecs.html

My best guess is that there is something wrong with your setup.

Check that you are using the nv driver by looking at the xorg.log

It could be that you're using X in some sort of degraded mode i.e
vesa.

Other than that, I don't know what could be wrong.

Regards,

--

 Frank