rTorrent + FreeBSD + pf = freeze?

Peter Kieser peter at kieser.ca
Fri Nov 20 00:25:58 UTC 2009

Hello,

This problem has been going on for at least the past 2 years. I've had
the exact same issue with rtorrent locking up or restarting machines
running FreeBSD, regardless of the hardware used.

I did not have any sort of firewall installed (neither pf, or ipfw). If
I loaded up rtorrent and had a number of torrents open the machines
would lock up or restart. It was reproducible at the time, but I could
never get anyone to admit there was a bug and I'm unable to find the
initial posting.

Regards,

-Peter