flashplugin

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Wed Nov 18 17:20:53 UTC 2009

David Collins wrote:
> I have periodically tested with getting flash working, and everytime I
> try it fails and I go back to undoing everything I have done and
> re-installing gnash. Gnash works but it does have a few niggles.
>
> I tried the following:
>

>> This is what I did for a 7.2 box.  Note that there are compatibility
>>
>>      # pkg_info -orx linux > linux-stuff
>>      # pkg_delete -rx linux
>>
>>      # cd /compat/linux
>>      # find . -type f -ls
>>      # rm -rf *
>>
>>      # sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16
>>
>>      OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=       f10
>>      OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=   f10
>>
>>    to /etc/make.conf.
>>
>>      # portinstall www/nspluginwrapper
>>      # nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
>>
>> * Finally, fire up Firefox and check that it has loaded the flash plugin by
>>   typing 'about:plugins' into the URL bar.  Find a site with flash content[*],
>>   and enjoy.
>>

> Everything installed easily and about:plugins has Shockwave Flash and
> FutureSplash Player as enabled. But, when I go to youtube.com all I get a black
> screen and the video doesn't load.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why flash isn't working?

Set linux_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and make sure you are mounting
linprocfs:
/etc/fstab:
# Device            Mountpoint    FStype    Options        Dump    Pass#
linproc                /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw        0    0

Check dmesg(8) or other system logs after trying to use flash and see if
anything is being logged.