8.0-RC3 USB lock up on mounting two partitions from one USB drive

Guojun Jin gjin at ubicom.com
Wed Nov 18 07:46:29 UTC 2009

Did newfs on those partition and made things worsen -- restore completely fails:
(I had experienced another similar problem on an IDE, which works well for 6.4 and 7.2, but 8.0.)
This dirve works fine under FreeBSD 6.4.

Is something new in 8.0 making disk partition schema changed?

g_vfs_done():da0s3d[READ(offset=98304, length=16384)]error = 6
g_vfs_done():da0s3d[WRITE(offset=192806912, length=16384)]error = 6
fopen: Device not configured
cannot create save file ./restoresymtable for symbol table
abort? [yn] (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0xa, scs
i status == 0x0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
ugen1.2: <DMI> at usbus1
umass0: <DMI Ultra HDD, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.19, addr 2> on usbus1
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <DMI Ultra HDD 1.19> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 114473MB (234441648 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 14593C)
Device da0s3d went missing before all of the data could be written to it; expect
 data loss.

    99  23:19   sysinstall
   100  23:20   newfs /dev/da0s3d
   101  23:20   newfs /dev/da0s3e
   102  23:21   mount /dev/da0s3d /mnt
   103  23:21   cd /mnt
   104  23:21   dump -0f - /home | restore -rf -
   105  23:27   history 15

-----Original Message-----
From: Guojun Jin
Sent: Tue 11/17/2009 11:05 PM
To: freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
Cc: questions at freebsd.org; freebsd-usb at freebsd.org
Subject: 8.0-RC3 USB lock up on mounting two partitions from one USB drive
When mounting two partitions from a USB dirve, it can cause the drive access lock up for a long time.

Terminal 1 --
term1# mount /dev/da0s3d  /mnt
term1# cd /mnt ; rm -fr *

when rm starts, go to terminal 2 and do:

term2# mount /dev/da0s3e /dist ### this will hanging for a long time and USB hard drive activity light is off.
After more than 1-2 minutes, mount returns, and the drive activity light is blinking, thus removing is going on.

term2# ls /dist   ### this will cause dUSB dirve hanging again -- no avtivity.
Similarly, ls will finish in a couple of miniutes or longer, the rm command continues; but for a while, the drive
activity will stop again.

Reboot machine, repeat the above steps, and result will be the same. Reboot machine again, and just mount one
partition, then doing "rm -rf *" without involve the second partition, rm will finish quickly.

Has anyone obseved this behave on 8.0-RC?


More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list