bash prompt update lagging

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Mon Nov 16 01:54:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

I use the same bash config on Linux, FreeBSD and Cygwin, for the most part,
and I just noticed that on my FreeBSD system the prompt is updating one
command too late.

root at kanga:/root$ pwd
/home/msoulier
root at kanga:~$ cd /root
root at kanga:~$ pwd
/root
root at kanga:/root$

As you can see, the prompt with my current location doesn't update until the
command _following_ my directory change.

root at kanga:/root$ echo $PS1
\[\033[1;32m\]\[\033[0;36m\]\u\[\033[1;32m\]@\[\033[0;36m\]\h\[\033[1;32m\]:\[\033[0;37m\]${SHORT_PWD}\[\033[1;32m\]$\[\033[0;37m\]

I'm wondering if this is a bash bug on bsd, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Mike
--Albert Einstein