how to do a custom install?

David Rawling djr at pdconsec.net
Sun Nov 15 09:59:17 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Kline
Sent: Sun 15/11/2009 8:03 PM

	due to strange disk problems i was down for around 30 hours.  i am
	currently wiping dos/win off in favor of 7.2-R and i have a question
	about doing a "custom" install that would let me slice the drive into
	more that four pieces.

	i am building, by default,

	/,
	/var
	SWAP,  and
	/usr

	it has been years since my custom install where [[*some*]] technique
	let me slice something like, say,

	/,
	/var,
	/tmp,
	/usr/local/
	SWAP,  and
	/usr

	anybody remember what keys to hit in the installation procedure?

	tia,

	gary

I can't say that I remember the keystrokes, but you can have multiple disk slices (aka Windows/DOS partitions) and within each slice, multiple BSD partitions (IIRC up to 8).

I have mine partitioned into (generally)

/ - 1GB
swap - 2x - 4x RAM
/tmp - 4GB
/var - 20GB
/usr - 40%
/backup - remainder

I use the whole disk for BSD (single slice) and create the partitions as whatever size suits.

Dave.
--
David Rawling
PD Consulting And Security