cannot boot freebsd

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Nov 11 18:52:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:27:13PM -0600, Jesús Abidan wrote:

> i pressed f2 for freebsd and nothing happens... i pressed f1 for windows.
>
> I install freebsd on the first partition and now it occurs the viceversa, i
> cannot boot windows, does it have to be something with the order of the
> partitions? i mean primary, logical o something like this?

MS-Win should optimally be installed on the first primary partition.
This is called 'slice 1' by FreeBSD.   Then FreeBSD should be installed
on slice 2.

If the slices are not to your liking, then you may need to use some
utility such as Parition Magic 7 (I had trouble with PM-8) or gparted
to define the primary partitions/slices before you do any of the installs.
But, still, MS-Win should be installed first and  go in the first slice
and FreeBSD later in another slice.  That is because MS-Win doesn't play
very well if installed later and/or in a different slice.

When you install FreeBSD (after the MS-Win install) select installing
the FreeBSD MBR (not none or default minimum).    It should be smart
enough to find both.

I have heard some complaints about MS-Vista and having to do some
other monkeying around to get an MBR to handle it correctly, but I
don't know details and I do not (lucky me) have any Vista machines
to joust with.

////jerry