g4u option

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 10 20:28:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:00:56 -0500, "Jean-Paul Natola" <jnatola at familycareintl.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to figure out ,if possible, how to get g4u to only clone data,
> i.e.
> I have an 80 gig drive  but my OS and applications only come to about 6gigs
> that’s what I want to clone to the new drive.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this?

Yes: using the proper tool for this job. :-)

In case of FreeBSD, dump + restore are excellent tools for
the task you seem to be describing. Refer to the mailing list
archive (or the Handbook) for examples how to use it - it's
quite easy. Using dump and restore involves some other tools
to prepare the target disk (e. g. fdisk, bsdlabel, newfs),
but everything can easily be scripted so it runs without any
human interaction.

Sadly, I can't answer your question about "g4u" because I've
never heared of it, and I don't see it in the ports collection,
so my anser is relatively FreeBSD-specific (but those tools
are the standard tools for such jobs in nearly all UNIX and
Linux environments).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany