libjpeg.so.9 missing from my installation of FBSD 7.2

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Tue Nov 10 17:21:20 UTC 2009

Henry Olyer wrote:
> I very much appreciate the help I get here.  And boy!, do I need it.
>
> Undoubtedly I did something wrong when I was putting my system together.
> But I just can't throw it away -- I'm trying to get some things done.
>
> So, awk!  help!

Where you performing an upgrade of an existing system?
AFAIK libjpeg.so.* libraries get installed by the graphics/jpeg port.
This was (fairly) recently upgraded, and if you did not follow the
/usr/ports/UPDATING instructions carefully, you probably ended up with
some dependent apps still linked to the old version of the library.

See /usr/ports/UPDATING:

20090719:
  AFFECTS: users of graphics/jpeg
  AUTHOR: dinoex at FreeBSD.org

  The IJG jpeg library has been updated to version 7.0.  Please rebuild all
  ports that depend on it.

In short, try the following (assuming you use portupgrade):

portupgrade -fr graphics/jpeg