Remote ssh tunnel in background or script?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Nov 9 20:48:03 UTC 2009

Svante Kvarnstrom wrote:
> Hello
>
> Have you tried -f (for background) and -N for "Do not execute a remote
> command"? See man 1 ssh for more details.
>
> Svante

Cheers for you!

It was "-f" without "-N" that produced the error.

I'm guessing I got down the manpage about as far as
"-f" and didn't go any further.  *beats head on desk*

Thanks, Svante!

For the archives:

SMTP OVER SSH TUNNEL FREEBSD

   sudo ssh -f -N -L localname:24:remotename:52525 me at remotename

When SMTP is listening on "remotename" port 52525.  "sudo" is needed
to open the tunnel on the "localname" side on port 24 (a privileged
port).  You could do this as "root" on the local side, but shouldn't
connect *to* root on the remote computer.