Installer: missing GEOM/gpart capabilities slicing disk?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Nov 9 15:40:48 UTC 2009

[ -current CC dropped ]
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, O. Hartmann wrote:
> I try to install a fresh new FreeBSD 8.0-RC2 (from snapshot-DVD) on a
> barndnew harddrive. As far as I recall partitioning a disk is now
> done via gpart and the limitation of having only 8 (-2) partitions
> from a through h except b and c is now obsoleted. When dropping into
> the installation process, I realised that the 8 partition boundary is
> still present.
> Is there a howto (I searched the wiki and lists without success)? I
> read a lot about how to install FreeBSD on op of a complete ZFS
> infrastructure, but key issue seems to be a hands-on partitioning of
> the target haddrive via the fixit procedure.

sysinstall does not [yet] do GPT partitions, I believe someone is
working on patches but I have no idea what state they are in.

Also, I didn't think that bsdlabel was limited to 8 partitions, however
I'm not certain.

BTW gpart does many partition types not just MBR and GPT.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum