Migrating from Linux (keeping partitions at install time)

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Mon Nov 9 04:31:09 UTC 2009

Ruben de Groot <mail25 at bzerk.org> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 10:18:21PM -0800, Carl Johnson typed:
>> Frank Shute <frank at shute.org.uk> writes:
>>
>> > On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 05:35:58PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> >>
>> > [snip]

>> > No, it's not a problem Jerry. ext3 is basically ext2 + journal, so you
>> > can mount it at as ext2 from within FreeBSD (or Linux).
>> >
>> > The journal sorts itself out when you boot Linux and it mounts the
>> > filesystem as ext3.
>>
>> I haven't been able to mount some ext3 filesystems.  When I
>> experimented, it appears that most new ext3 filesystems default to 256
>> byte inodes.  When I created a filesystem with 128 byte inodes then
>> FreeBSD could mount it just fine.  I didn't try ext2, but I think the
>> inode is independent of ext2 or ext3.  This is for FreeBSD
>> 7.1-RELEASE, so maybe things have changed for 7.2 or 8.0.
>
> This has been patched:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/124621

Thanks for the information, but I notice that it was put into stable
*very* recently, so I hope it gets into 8.0-RELEASE.  I wasn't too
worried about it since the workaround was obvious once I identified
the problem.  I actually prefer to use Reiserfs, but it appears that
nobody is working on rw access for it.  Like the original poster, I am
a Debian user who is experimenting with it, but from VirtualBox for
now.  I will probably try setting up dual boot when 8.0 comes out.

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org