Tracking commit messages from cli

Troels Kofoed Jacobsen tkjacobsen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 19:27:35 UTC 2009

Hi all

With pkg_version I can easily see which installed ports has newer
versions available, but what I miss is a way to see what has changed.
The reason for this is that commit messages often say that only the
pkg-plist has changed or something that does not make me want to update.

Right now I'm reading the commit messages from the cvs web frontend, but
it would be awesome with a program that could say:
gd-2.0.35_1,1 <   needs updating (index has 2.0.35_2,1)
Commit messages between the versions:
blah blah blah
blah ... ...

I know freshports exist, but I would rather not have to open a web
browser.

Does such a program exist or do I have to write my own. In the latter
case can anyone point me to an easy way to get raw-text versions of
commit messages without having to track the whole tree. Does freshports
e.g. have an api -- it has all the necessary information, just not
available in a suitable form (to my knowledge)

Best regards
Troels Kofoed Jacobsen