Migrating from Linux (keeping partitions at install time)

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Sun Nov 8 10:31:08 UTC 2009

Frank Shute <frank at shute.org.uk> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 05:35:58PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> Not so sure I did anything for your most important question - if ext2 s ext3
>> is a problem, but I hope the rest is helpful.
>>

> No, it's not a problem Jerry. ext3 is basically ext2 + journal, so you
> can mount it at as ext2 from within FreeBSD (or Linux).
>
> The journal sorts itself out when you boot Linux and it mounts the
> filesystem as ext3.

I haven't been able to mount some ext3 filesystems.  When I
experimented, it appears that most new ext3 filesystems default to 256
byte inodes.  When I created a filesystem with 128 byte inodes then
FreeBSD could mount it just fine.  I didn't try ext2, but I think the
inode is independent of ext2 or ext3.  This is for FreeBSD
7.1-RELEASE, so maybe things have changed for 7.2 or 8.0.

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org