splitting Mbox file thread-sorted

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Nov 6 08:56:43 UTC 2009

El día Thursday, November 05, 2009 a las 04:41:46PM -0800, Pete escribió:

>   reformail -s maildrop < mbox_file
>
> will cause the whole mbox_file to be broken into individual
> messages that are then (re)processed by your current maildrop
> configuration (using your current .mailfilter). The reformail program
> comes with maildrop; see the man page.

I have no reformail(1) or maildrop(1) installed; so I checked the man
page here: http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/reformail.html
and understand what the above is doing (breaking the mbox into single
mails and piping them again through a local MDA maildrop(1)).

But this is not I was looking for. I want to break a big mbox file into
pieces of lets say 1000 mails, and not in the order the mails are in the
source file, but thread sorted; i.e. if the 1st and the last mail of
this big 10.000 mbox file belong to one thread, they should be in one
file;

don't see how this would be possible with maildrop(1); any idea is
welcome;

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211