7.x on Dell R900?

Matt Szubrycht matts at bmihosting.com
Wed Nov 4 03:10:46 UTC 2009

Hello List,

I cannot find any fresh information on compatibility of Dell PowerEdge
R900 and FreeBSD after googling for several hours, so I decided to ask
here.  If this is not the right place, please redirect me to.

All of our servers run FreeBSD with one exception - a CentOS machine,
which adds to the overall maintenance workload and keeping up to date.
Back in the day, after getting the R900 (without prior OS
compatibility research), the word was that FreeBSD will not run on
this hardware and we ended up installing CentOS.  That was well over a
year ago and I am wondering if anyone could share some insight into
the current compatibility status, installation/operation pitfalls and
any other tips that would allow me to get away from Linux on this R900
box and create a homogeneous server-space environment with FreeBSD 7.x.

Here are some basic specs, I can provide more details if needed:

4 x 4-core 3.0 GHz Intel Xeon CPU's
32GB RAM
LSILogic PERC 4e/Di Firmware 516A, BIOS H418, 256MB RAM
PERC 6/i          Rev: 1.11

Any creative help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Best Regards,