ZFS disk replacement questions

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Tue Nov 3 19:53:40 UTC 2009

Derrick Ryalls wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Steve Polyack <korvus at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Derrick Ryalls wrote:
>>
>>> 1) In the event of a disk failure, how do I trace back the name such
>>> as adX to a physical drive in the enclosure?  Is there a way to take
>>> the drive offline then use atacontrol to spin it down or something so
>>> it is easy to identify?
>>>

>> In my opinion you are best off using glabel(8) to give names to the disks.
>>  This way you can name them in a way that makes sense to you.  Additionally,
>> when you create the ZFS pool you will use the glabel'd names.  This means
>> that the pool will still come up properly if something causes your devices
>> to be numbered differently (i.e. a drive dies and you happen to reboot the
>> system).
>>

> I believe ZFS does this automatically.  Supposedly, if you take a
> working set of RAIDZ drives from one machine and put it in another,
> ZFS will figure out the drives since they get labelled by ZFS
> internally.  My question concerns how to identify the physical disk in
> question based on the adX or glabel name?  Different name in software
> is fine, but if the drive fails I want to make sure I pull the correct
> drive.

This is possible, but I don't remember reading that ZFS handles this
anywhere, and I've seen glabel(8) recommended elsewhere for the same
reason.

Either way, you can add your drives one-by-one and label them on the
enclosure "arraydrive00" and then glabel the individual disks with the
same name.  This way when ZFS tells you "arraydrive03" is dead/offline,
you can look at your enclosure and pull the drive with the arraydrive03
label.