Eclipse & Java 1.5

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Mon Nov 2 17:13:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 10:03:30AM -0600, Adam Vande More typed:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Alex Huth <a.huth at tmr.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I want to change my laptop system from Debian to FreeBSD. After installing
> > 8.0
> > RC2 in a virtual machine i have tried to install eclipse and changed the
> > Java
> > version in the makefile to 1.5, but it still want to install the 1.6 jdk.
> >
> > I need the 1.5 version for several reasons, for example VPN account.
> >
> > How can i solve the problem? Is java 1.5 also available if i install it on
> > AMD64? On debian this is a Problem.
> >
> > Thx
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > Never be afraid to try something new.
> > Remember, amateurs built the ark.
> > Professionals built the Titanic. ? unknow
> >

> Does /usr/ports/java/jdk15 not work for you?
>
> Can you not install both and tell eclipse to use the 15 jdk?
>
> You can try editing /usr/ports/java/eclipse/Makefile to JAVA_VERSION=   1.5
> but I have no idea if that will work.

I've been bitten by this as well. Of course eclipse works well with java versions
<1.6, as it does on all other platforms.

Such restrictions in the Makefiles (= instead of >=) are really a showstopper for
people who just want to get things done.

Ruben