Why after packages update my 'startx' gives me a message: Protocol not supported by server.

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 1 18:01:20 UTC 2009

Yuri wrote:

> It keeps repeating this line in original terminal, putting line ".." in
> between. So it looks like this:
> Protocol not supported by server.
> ..
> Protocol not supported by server.
> ..
> Protocol not supported by server.
> ..
> <goes on like this>
>
> Now I have to start just 'Xorg', it starts bare X. And from another
> terminal I have to start kde: "DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> /usr/local/kde4/bin/kde"
> Then it works ok.
>
> My .xinitrc looks like this:
>
> export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
> export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
> export XIM=SCIM
> export XIM_PROGRAM=SCIM
> exec scim -d &
> /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde

My first wild guess would be take out all the scim lines in your .xinitrc
and see if the messages disappear. I know xorg.conf isn't supposed to be
'needed' any longer, what with Xorg's supposed ability to auto configure,
but you might want to look at the Xorg docs for configuring scim in Xorg. I
don't use it myself but have seen something about it in the docs. Once the
support has been added/configured then look in the KDE desktop config
utility and set it up there too.

-Mike